Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Right is Right

I have been said to be too black and white. I am ok with that because right is right, and wrong is wrong.

There are things, big and little, that are just not ok, not appropriate. Let's take the simple stuff, feet on chairs, or even tables, in public places...wrong. That one should be easy, but I actually saw a woman a few days ago with her leg through over the table sitting outside at a coffee shop. If you go to the movies you will see people throughout the theatre with their feet up on the back of the chair in front of them, or on the arm of the chair in front of them...wrong.

I realize that these are little things, at least on some people's minds, but they really aren't, and they are a symptom of a greater problem today, which is that these are not just "kids" doing these things, they are so called grown-ups, 30 somethings and 40 somethings, men and women. It used to be that guys would act like rude idiots and women would correct them, give them a look of disgust, smack them on the arm, where have those days gone??

The other day, driving through town I stopped at a light and looked to my right. There was a woman, in a huge, new SUV, with a tiny little rug headed mutt sort of in her left arm, half in her arm and half out the driver's side window. As she slowly rolled forward at the light she was starring straight down at the cell phone in her right hand that she was wearing out her thumb on. The light turned green and I said a quick prayer, and turned left away from the boat she was sort of driving.

Next red light. I pulled up, looked to my right, and there was a similar SUV with a woman READING THE NEWSPAPER on her right and texting with her left hand. I don't get it. Next light, same issue only worse, two very young kids in the backside, moving vehicle as the light turned green, texting with her left hand while looking over her right shoulder and having a "discussion" with one of the kids. The vehicle was moving!!

I have recently become convinced that it is too late for this country. We are past the point where we can recapture "civilized." If the little things are too much to ask, if the common sense things, or the common courtesy things are too much to ask, then the big things are obviously far beyond our reach at this point.

This simply makes me sad.

Thank you again for getting this far with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment