Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Man, The Myth, The Legend - Jimmy V

For the second time since I have been doing this, I finished writing and did not like what I had written. The last time it was truly just not something I liked. This time, when I was done, I realized I just had not done the man justice. In my defense, it is not easy to find the words to describe a man that is so positive, so upbeat, so full of life, while at the same being full of tumors and weeks from his death.

Jimmy V has been an inspiration to me for years and so I thought I would give you his last speech, something that is hard to believe as you watch because he is so sick during this speech and yet you would never know from the fervor with which he speaks. This man won a national championship with NC State basketball in 1983, he coached all his life, to win his national title he beat one of the best college basketball teams of all time, Houston’s Phi Slamma Jamma team, and yet when you hear him speak he speaks about life, and living, family. This was an amazing man. Please watch this video and please “laugh, think and cry” today.

Jimmy V at the 1993 ESPY Awards.

The V Foundation for Cancer Research

No comments:

Post a Comment