Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Last of the Truly Great Men

What is most amazing about my uncle Ed is that as successful as he was, as talented as he was, as amazing a man, he always supported me, helped me, encouraged me, without any judgement whatsoever!!

Edward Donatelli is gone.  He passed this morning.  For him it was a long time coming, for me, and for us, it is far too soon.

Uncle Ed was a man among men, but in a quiet and unassuming way.  He drove the most amazing car ever made, the Porsche Carrera. He flew planes.  He built a plane in the basement of the office, or at least he worked on it for a long time, I never did see it finished.  He and his brothers built big buildings together, in my mind they built the city of Providence.

More than that though, Uncle Ed was a cornerstone of our family. He was solid, consistent, quiet, caring, thoughtful.  He loved his wife more than anything and was always there for her right to the end of her days, and ultimately to the beginning of the end for him.  He was there for his son, Little Eddy, imaginative knick name I know, and he was very much there for his grandsons Craig and Kieth, who were in turn there for him, both in their own ways.

He always made time for me and me for him.  I would always visit "the street" on my way into and/or out of Rhode Island, and then later into or out of New England, and as time wore on "the street" shrunk to parking in front of Uncle Ed's, go in to see him, walk across the street to see Red and Uncle Baby and then drive away.

A year or so ago, maybe a little longer they made me stop bringing him Hot Weiners.  Also the last time I have had one.  Not sure I ever will again now.  I also had to stop taking him for a drive in whatever car I had rented.  Nobody ever really knew this, but the faster the car I could rent the happier it made him.. Man he loved the red Mustang Convertible.  We didn't go far, but that didn't matter, he loved it just the same.

Visiting the office always followed the same pattern, bug Gram, say hello to uncle Anthony, go down the hall and say hello to Uncle Bobby as he leaned over whatever he was estimating at that moment, pipe in hand, or between his teeth, and then find Uncle Eddy and proceed downstairs to get the update on the plane.

With his passing goes what is left of the past, the good old days, growing up surrounded by family.  They are all gone now, those that represent the past.  Uncle Bobby is thankfully still here, but being a year older than dad he was almost a different generation.  There is a picture of the older five somewhere, no Uncle Bobby and no Gram, but such a great picture.  Wonder where that is now.  Everyone in it are now sitting around a table, a table full of amazing food prepared by Gram, with their wives and Gramps, all having a blast and talking about the good old days.

Thank you Uncle Eddy for believing in me, or for loving me no matter what, or both.  I am glad that going West made yo so happy, but I am sorry I couldn't have been with you more.

Thank you again for getting this far with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment