Friday, July 10, 2009

Phoebe In Wonderland

If you have not seen this movie, please do. I am a movie junky and I had not even heard of it, but Blockbuster On-line struck again. As soon as I saw Elle Fanning’s name listed under cast I had to rent the movie. Elle Fanning, younger sister of Dakota Fanning, younger enormously talented sister. What did the Fannings put in the water?

Yesterday I watched “Push,” a pretty good movie, very different which I like, and Dakota Fanning was a member of that cast. I rented that movie because Dakota was listed. Are you sensing a pattern here? Everything I have seen Dakota Fanning in has been amazing, or at least she has been amazing in each of her roles thus far. The same can now be said for Elle Fanning, or least for the movies I have seen her in, one so far. These are two very young, very talented actors.

The movie though, “Phoebe in Wonderland,” is extraordinary. To me any movie that makes you laugh, or cry, or think, is a good movie, well this movie does all three, at times at the exact same time. It also has you on the edge of your seat, or squirming, or fidgeting, and yes I typically do all three, but watching this movie I was compelled to do so.

Please don’t misunderstand, this is not a comedy, this is not a love story, this is not an action film, this is simply a very strong, very deep, very moving story, very stirring story. The message, or messages, is very much worth whatever it cost to make this film, and more. The way in which the story is told is unique in its own way. The characters are each fully developed and with great detail, and depth. This movie is not at all what I was expecting, and yet it pulled me in and touched me.

Phoebe in Wonderland is filled with emotion, the actors show it, feel it, exude it. Please just watch this and allow yourself to be overcome with it. I am sorry, but after watching this film I am, for me, mostly speechless.

Thank you again for getting this far with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment