Sunday, November 1, 2009

Moral Code

This was not the plan. Every day, then every week, now once a month. I plan to get better at this again and more consistent, but for now here we are.

This one is pretty simple, and for a friend that has always been consistent, never faded, always been in my corner and believes a great deal more in me than I do.

I have said before that I not perfect, not even close, and when it comes to living by a "moral code," I have slipped more often than I like to think, but my friend is right about the basic concept.

I do believe, very much so, that there are very clear lines between right and wrong, and while the ones the line that exists for big things, like how to be a human being and be kind, caring and respectful of others, is very important.

There are things that should never be said, period. There are things that should never be done, no matter what, ever. There is a way to act in the privacy of your own home, and then a higher standard in public, and then an even higher standard in "mixed" company.

Is this "old fashioned?" Sure, I guess. Has the world changed? Yes. Has it changed for the better? In this sense, not at all, in any way, or any fashion. Is it better in some parts of our country and the world than others? Unfortunately, yes.

I was recently allowed the opportunity to spend some time observing a great man, and a great coach, and someone that has endured a great deal in his life, and persevered. This man very much lives by this code, and he instills this in his players, and in every player, student, young man, that he has the opportunity to come in contact with. I watched this Gentlemen address a group of young people, and college players, and youth and college coaches, and his message was, to paraphrase, be a good person, and be a good teammate, "open a door for a teammate." I am not certain, but fairly much so, that he meant that figuratively, as well as quite literally.

There is right and wrong, and anybody that tells you different, or believes different, is part of the problem we face in the world today. This is not about censoring, or restricting ones right to be free, this is about reeducating the world on what is good, kind, moral human behavior, and what isn't, and how important, necessary, vital, to our planet it is to for everyone to try and be the kindest person on the planet because then even though nobody can be perfect, at least we have a chance if everyone is trying.

"Look out for number 1." I believe that statement should be look out for number 2 because if everyone did that then everyone would be looked out for in return.

Thank you again for getting this far with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment